[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Mar 19 17:58:29 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Mar 19, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> IANA does not control the "global BGP network".
> I disagree.

Then you are wrong.  Really.  I can speak authoritatively on this.

> In other words, if IANA were to decide 2010 was "flag day" they could
> merely announce that all IPv4 allocations as of that date were
> unmaintained, non-tracked, and shut down whois queries for them.

a) IANA doesn't decide these sorts of things.  It implements policies
others, like the RIRs, define.
b) IANA does not maintain, track, or provide whois service for the
vast majority of IPv4 allocations.  We maintain a top-level
delegation (textual) chart for the /8s IANA has handed out over the
years.  Nothing more, nothing less.
c) Even if IANA did maintain this sort of data, if we were to stop,
it would mean essentially nothing to the various ISPs and end users
that would continue to use IPv4.

You seem to have a view that there is a responsible adult who can
make the hard decisions.  That entity does not exist.  The entire
addressing system works because people agree it works and cooperate
to define how.  That's why Lee, John, et al, have asked for proposals.

Rgds,
-drc
General Manager, IANA