[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Sat Mar 17 11:16:03 EDT 2007

> >If the community comes to consensus around a policy
> providing for #2,
> >then, it will be acceptable at least until such time as the courts
> >determine otherwise.  OTOH, if the community does not come to such a
> >consensus, then, there is no policy to support such action.
> >
> >Currently, there is no policy to support such action.
>
> Exactly, and this issue must be faced squarely or we are just
> wasting our time on the whole issue of extending the life of
> IPv4 on the Internet.

Without a proposal, we can only face this issue obliquely.
There are two tools ARIN has: policy, and fees.  I beg and plead
with you to propose something.

> It seems to me that the current allocation scheme is
> fundamentally based on the concept of need of addresses for
> your own use.  That is, if I need addresses for my network,
> and I can demonstrate this need, then I will get them.  It is
> not based on the idea that I need a chunk of addresses so I
> can turn around and make a lot of money selling them to
> someone who really does need them.  ISP's for example, when
> they assign an IP address to a customer, if the customer
> quits service, the IP address stays with the ISP.
>
> This is a morality question of sorts.

Would you propose that we abolish the allocation system, and
only assign to end user organizations?

> In the history of human endeavor
[. . .]
> Thus the idea is that fundamentally, any idea of creating a
> free market of IP addresses being bought and sold, is
> tanasmount to patenting the Christian idea of "do unto
> others" or it is tansamount to issuing a copyright on "the
> happy birthday song"

That song is (probably) protected by copyright.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday_to_You

Lee