[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Sat Mar 17 10:32:34 EDT 2007

> Well, the lawsuit your referring to - Kremen VS Arin, available
> here: www.internetgovernance.org/pdf/kremen.pdf has enough
> huge flaws o drive a truck through.

http://www.arin.net/media/releases/dismissal-release.pdf
The Court recognized ARIN's authority in the stewardship of IP
numbering resources, and found that everyone should play by the
same rules.

> >I would support a policy proposal that directed ARIN to
> actively try to
> >reclaim address space that was no longer in use, regardless of what
> >terms it was assigned/allocated under.
>
> Well, good because that is what I am in favor of as well.

Excellent.  Will one of you please write such a proposal?

> > you need to come up with
> >better studies and data than we already have.
>
> I don't see how anyone including myself can come up with any
> studies worth a damn that will predict how reclamation turns
> out.  Nobody really knows how much of the allocated address
> space out there is really being used according to the
> justifications submitted when it was allocated (years earlier
> in many cases)

True, nobody really knows.  It is possible to ask contacts at
a variety of organizations (public policy meetings are one great
venue, but IETF is another good one) how much allocated-but-unused
space they have.  You can get a rough order of magnitude.

> You have to simply make a decision, are we going to try
> reclamation or not?

It's not deciding time until there's a proposal.  This is discussion
time.

> If we are, then the next decision is are we going to try
> reclamation based on monetary adjustments, (changing fees) or
> by setting policy?

Minor note: policies are set by the public, fees are set by the
members.

> I do not favor setting fees as a tool for changing IPv4
> allocations.  I am much more in favor of setting policy then
> if people violate the policy, suing the pants off of them.
> This does have a requirement that the organization be run by
> someone with balls.  Unfortunately, I am in a minority
> because most people subscribe to the belief that all we have
> to do is adjust pricing and people will do what we want -
> like magic! As a result if a reclamation policy does get
> passed, it most likely will be a limp-handed politically
> correct poofball that will make all kinds of naieve
> assumptions that organizations will fall all over themselves
> to return unused space just because they think it might cost
> a bit more money to hold on to it.

This paragraph might contain some content, but it's hard to tell.

I think it says:
You would support a (as yet unsubmitted) policy of aggressive
auditing and reclamation of IPv4 address space, enforced by legal
action.  You suspect, however, that the majority of the public
would not support such a policy.

Please correct me if I misunderstand your position.

Lee