[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Sat Mar 17 10:11:58 EDT 2007

It all depends on how you define "run out."  "Who" runs out of
"what"?
	IANA is unable to allocate a /8 block in the 0-223 range
	One RIR is unable to allocate a /13 in response to a
	request.
	One RIR is unable to allocate a /(some number between 14
	and 24) in response to a request.
	No RIR is able to make allocations or assignments in
	response to requests.

> > The best projections, by people who are quite authoritative on the
> > matter, is that reclamation will buy us six more months.
>
> It will "buy" more time - closer to 3-4 years probably. If
> you're looking for numbers, currently 65% of Class-A,B,C
> (1.0.0.0-223.255.255.255) is allocated and of that 45% is
> routed leaving 20% as not routed (which has some amount in
> use internally but I'd be surprised if its even 1/4th of
> that) which means potentially equivalent of 46 /8 blocks
> could be reclaimed right now (and those numbers will grow
> too). But if we want do do reclamation such decision better
> be made soon and process start as well.
>
> For reference where I calculate the numbers, see
>   http://www.completewhois.com/statistics/ip_statistics.htm

A useful analysis, thank you.

See also http://www.arin.net/statistics/index.html
http://www.arin.net/statistics/historical.html
http://www.arin.net/statistics/jointstats.pdf

You can draw your own curve and decide what you think the burn
rate is.  Note that in the last document above, the "IPv4
Allocations: RIRs to LIRs/ISPs" chart is YTD September 2006.
There will be an update in Puerto Rice, I'm sure.

Lee