[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Thu Mar 15 17:17:55 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen at sprunk.org>
To: <michael.dillon at bt.com>
Cc: ARIN PPML <ppml at arin.net>
Subject: Re: [ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:28:01 -0500

> Thus spake <michael.dillon at bt.com>
> >> Imagine a day in which a lot of the network outside of
> the ARIN >> region is IPv6 and only ARIN is still using
> IPv4.  We'd have a >> network ripped in half (well, not
> 50/50) with our region falling >> behind the rest of the
> world (in IPvX). >
> > In my version of this thought experiment, the ARIN
> > region quickly realized that roughly 90% of their
> > infrastructure was capable of running IPv6 with only a
> > software upgrade so they did upgrade. Problem solved.
>
> Nice thought experiment, but 99.9999% of the routers in
> the ARIN region (you  know, all those boxes consumers and
> SoHos are sitting behind) don't support  IPv6 and the
> vendors have shown absolutely no interest in adding it.

Which is a good reason to oppose this countdown policy.
Putting
this squeeze on commerce is not a priority for me, and I
hope not
for our region. If the "vendors" want to start EOL'ing V4,
they
should go ahead and do that. Instead, they want us to do it
for them
by making policy forcing the issue.

No thanks.

-M<