[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Luke S. Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Fri Mar 16 16:29:51 EDT 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> The problem with this is that any of your competitors who have large
> blocks of unused space, are simply going to field those cheaper addresses
> and put you out of business.  Or if they are a lot bigger than you they are
> going to subsidize the newer more expensive IP numbers they get, and still
> undercut you.  Then once your bankrupt, they will jack prices up.  This
> is what the cable companies did to a lot of smaller DSL providers.

I was proposing that the price would be jacked up on all renewals as well
as all new allocations.    Otherwise, you are correct, the proposal helps
not at all.   (It is possible that ARIN's contracts prevent jacking up the
price on renewals... in which case, my proposal was badly-researched and
unworkable.)