[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Mar 16 15:55:42 EDT 2007

You are correct that if NO planning is done that people will use their
resources to find a way around the problem.

When gasoline prices went up a lot of people in US cities started riding
mopeds and scooters to work.

The question though is that do we really want to live with the kind of
ad-hoc bandaids that will be created by people's own resourcefulness,
or do we want to take easy steps now so that we can avoid a lot of these
bandaids later?

In the US we still do not know now if the increase in scooter riding has
greatly increased the number of fatal accidents and so on.  It may very
well be that when you look at increased motorcycle and scooter riding,
particularly by casual riders who are only doing it to save money on
gasoline,
that the costs to society for dealing with the afteraffects of increased
fatalities exceed the individual fuel savings.  Particularly as it has been
shown that when the cost of gas drops people simply drive more miles,
thus the savings they get are cancelled out by the increased number of
gallons they buy.

If we have a plan going forward we can do some work in advance to avoid
problems.  If we do nothing going forward we do not know what will result,
and thus it is simply impossible to know if a particular decision (such as
selling NAT technologies) will have bad side effects later on or not.

I invite you to look at the mess in Southern California to see what the
effects of not doing land use planning in advance will produce.  The
majority of people living there today wish that land use planning had
gone into effect 60 years ago.  But today it's too late since everything
is all built up, and introducing land planning today will create far more
problems than it would solve, and you would not see any benefits for
a century.

Ted