[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Mar 15 21:49:59 EDT 2007

At 6:09 PM -0700 3/15/07, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>  Then please state here, is it the official position of ARIN
>that the definition of "responsible management of the IPv4 space"
>EXPLICITLY implies the following:

Getting an official position of ARIN whether a particular
phrase implies your statements would require a slightly
more formal process.  I've opted instead to answer based
on my own understanding of ARIN's mission for sake
of  timeliness (but feel free to contact the Board at
<http://www.arin.net/about_us/bot.html >if you need
 us to formally pursue the questions as asked...)

>1) That IPv4 space means "all routable IPv4 space on the Internet"
>including that which has not been assigned to a number registry?

Yes.  "Internet Protocol resources" include all IPv4 space,
including that which is:

  - Routed on the Internet,
  - Not Routed on the Internet,
  - Routed privately
  - Not Routed privately
  - Assigned to an RIR
  - Not Assigned to an RIR

Mind you, policies for management of IPv4 address space
not yet assigned to an RIR are likely to be global in nature
and hence require global policy adoption.   Start with a
proposal in one RIR, and repeat as necessary...

>2) That ARIN has the authority to revoke either complete or partial
>IPv4 address assignments for reasons other than failure to pay the
>bill for IP registration?

That one's easy...  Yes.   (ARIN RSA, section #8.
<http://www.arin.net/registration/agreements/rsa.pdf>)

>3) That address assignment criteria EXCLUDES organizations that
>have no need of the addresses for their own network operations,
>or for customers that are connected to their networks?

Address assignment criteria are set by Internet Resource Policies,
which in turn are set by the community.   Feel free to propose a
policy which matches your definition above.

/John