[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Mar 15 20:50:19 EDT 2007

At 8:37 AM +0000 3/15/07, <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
 (> From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz>)
> > I agree that the proposal as written is far from perfect, to say the
>> least.  I want to get past that,
>
>You cannot get past that. If this is a global policy proposal then an
>identical policy must be passed by each RIR. Therefore, you can't change
>the wording of this proposal to fix it. It has to be bounced from the
>table.

This isn't quite accurate - Global policies are adopted first
in each RIR based on that RIR community's requirements.
i.e.  if this particular one makes it back into play, then there
is no reason it shouldn't be edited as determined by the
public community of the ARIN region.

Of course, this does mean that the first version of a policy
which is intended to be global may not match among the
RIR's, but that's just fine (for an example, review the history
of http://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2004_8.html)

Eventually, informed debate among the RIR communities
and at the ASO AC will bring policies that truly need to be
global into a single version.

/John