[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Jim Barstow hostmaster at dssitech.com
Thu Mar 15 16:24:23 EDT 2007

I think that the problems from IPv6 stem from opinions like this where
network operators feel that there is no reason to deploy IPv6 because
equipment doesn't support it.  Its more of a chicken vs. egg question.

We are well aware that our IPv6 deployment is likely to take 2 or more
years, thusly we have been making the preparations to announce our IPv6
space, which we will announce when the last of our peering points adds
support for it.  We intend to dual-stack our network and continually monitor
the usage of both v4 and v6 address space until such time as we can begin
phasing out the v4 space from the edge inwards.

Without ever taking the time or initiative to develop a migration plan so
that people have some idea of how they will be moving forward over the next
couple years.  There will never be support build in to the SoHo routers
until there is a network to support it, so it should be on the shoulders of
us, the network operators, to build the system to support the solution to
many of our problems.  IMHO, if you aren't taking any initiative at all, you
have no room to complain about lack of space, poor allocation policies,
lack of reclamation policies, etc.

Just my $0.02.

------------------------------------
SmartTel Communications