[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Thu Mar 15 12:29:35 EDT 2007

David Conrad wrote:
> Tony,
>
> On Mar 14, 2007, at 4:38 PM, Tony Hain wrote:
> > I was not suggesting IPv6-only service.
> > The model I didn't do a very good job of explaining is:
> > Pool exhausts
> > Customer
> >    - chooses to opt out of IPv4 to reduce cost
>
> Doesn't this mean IPv6-only (which implies IPv6-to-IPv4 NAT for the
> foreseeable future)?

It means it is 'customer choice' to go IPv6-only, which does not imply nat.
If they see sufficient value to retain the IPv4 connectivity they pay the
price. I suspect many of them will not, which will result in not connecting
to the IPv4-only sites. As long as they have a viable alternative site that
supports IPv6, no nat is required for them to drop their IPv4.

Tony