[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Mar 15 00:29:07 EDT 2007

> >I suspect -customers- will have to pay whatever the market demands.
> >ISPs will undoubtedly be happy to route prefixes provided to them by
> >their customers for a (perhaps not so) nominal fee.  Of course, this
> >implies fragmenting prefixes and a surge in the amount of
> >unaggregatable routing information being propagated back and forth
> >(whether this is a real problem depends is an interesting ongoing
> >debate).
>
> This is the real problem of the end-game IMO.... It is going to put
> added pressure on the route table and bring that very real problem
> to the fore.
> Addressing is not broken nearly as bad as routing for the future.

It might be useful to point this out to your Friendly Neighborhood
Router Vendor.  At least one large router vendor apparently believes
it is realistic to build routers that can handle millions of routes.
Since current hardware can't (as I understand it) handle that sort of
routing load, they should get busy...

Rgds,
-drc