[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Mar 14 20:21:55 EDT 2007

In a message written on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 10:05:00AM -0000, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> In case you hadn't noticed, this policy proposal was made by people from
> outside the ARIN region. The same proposal was put before APNIC in their
> own region. They are attempting to create a global policy without
> following the global policy process of NRO
> http://www.nro.net/policy/index.html

So here's the problem with the NRO process on that page.  I'm going to
quote the first paragraph, broken down:

Step #1: "Any individual may submit a global proposal."

   Submit to who?  In what form?  This page has no location for
   someone to submit a global proposal to the NRO, no method to
   submit it to ICANN, and no method to submit it to the RIR's.
   Given that this statement is 100% unclear, it makes sense to infer
   you should submit it to the RIR's, primarily due to the next step...

Step #2: "Each RIR community must ratify an identical version of the
          proposed policy."

   With the three existing global policies the authors have submitted
   identical proposals to all the RIR's, just as this author has done.
   Given that Step #1 is completely unclear, and we have three cases
   where submitting it to all the RIR's worked, I'd say that's the de
   facto standard on how to submit a global policy.

Step #3: "The NRO Executive Council (NRO EC) then refers the coordinated
	  proposal to the ASO Address Council (ASO AC), which reviews
	  the process by which the proposal was developed and, under
	  the terms of the ASO Memorandum of Understanding, passes
	  it to the ICANN Board of Directors for ratification as a
	  global policy."

   Clearly can't be done until all of the RIR's have passed the policy
   proposals in each region.

In short, I take issue with you saying they are not following the
global policy process.  The global policy has a huge issue with
step #1, and as far as I can tell three cases where it has been
essentially skipped.

Maybe we need a global policy to clarify the global policy.