[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Mar 14 19:07:34 EDT 2007

Randy,

On Mar 14, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> have there been hands on the governor before, i.e. the rirs?

The governors have removed themselves from the playing field by
asserting address space can't be bought or sold.  When faced between
revenues/signed contracts and "what's best for the Internet", my
experience has been ISPs will generally choose the former.  How many
ISPs today verify a prefix is registered to the presenting customer?
How many will do so in the future?

I suspect there is a business opportunity out there for a registry
that is agnostic to how address space was obtained.  All you'd need
do is get the big ISPs to play along...

> end of the internet as we know it. news at 11.

Sorry, that was preempted by the more important latest breaking news
on Britney (still bald) and Anna Nicole (still dead).

Oops.  My cynicism is showing again, isn't it?

Rgds,
-drc