[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

MAEMURA Akinori maem at nic.ad.jp
Wed Mar 14 03:14:08 EDT 2007

Hi Ed, Ted and all,

Thank you Ed for your support on this proposal.  The proposor
team will make the petition later according to the process
which Ted kindly spelled out.

Ted's observation and analysis was wise and cool.  I am happy
to have that.

The Proposers' point of view is to anticipate the run-out
period to avoid a mix-up situation as far as we can.

According to www.potaroo.net for example, IANA's stock of
IPv4 /8 block will run out in July 2011 which is four years
and four months later from now.

We don't have much time until the exhaustion.  Four years
is less than a conventional depreciation period and Gantt
Chart of a big carrier's mid-term deployment plan might
already include this point of time.

People might say IPv4 address space would be never "exhausted"
because assigned-but-unused spaces will circulate.  However,
it will need an orderly reclamation process which will need
an additional address policy.  Even if they will circulate,
I am not at all sure the sufficient amount of circulated/
re-used space will be supplied to meet the pace of recent
IPv4 address consumption - 10 * /8s per one year.

We don't intend an artificially earlier termination of IPv4
address space by that particular policy proposal while it
might have been regarded so by many people, but want to
ensure all requests by the termination date is are be
received, evaluated and then allocated if no problem.  Our
problem is we don't have a very clear idea how much space
will be rushing in in the last minutes additionally to
expected rate.

I don't want to be either in the middle of a crossfire nor
just looking at a train wreck.  Why we are doing something
like going into a crossfire is because an Internet Registry
might be accused of wrong handling of the exhaustion.

And we are proposing this to a member meeting because that
the poilcy of a membership organization will be discussed
there and determined according to the consensus of
membership and community.

Hope it makes sense to you.  We are happy to answer to your
questions if you have any unclear points.

Regards,
-----
MAEMURA Akinori                General Manager IP Department
maem at nic.ad.jp      JPNIC - Japan Network Information Center

In message <NABBJOELMNGNJNGPKDDOIELPHAAA.tedm at ipinc.net>