[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Wed Mar 14 01:36:17 EDT 2007

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> It is quite obvious, for example, that having something like 131.107.0.0/16
> assigned to Microsoft makes it quite easy for Microsoft's administrators to
> have this giant worlwide WAN that runs BGP internally and has many
> interconnection
> points to the world.  Very good.  Then how come Looking Glass only shows
> MS's AS's  (3598, and 8068-8075) interconnected to the rest of us
> via Level 3?

What looking glass are you using to arrive at this conclusion?

Microsoft peers with lots of networks (especially via 8075).
They do appear to use 3356 transit for certain prefixes but
that may not be out of necessity, and even those prefixes are seen
by many peers directly.

They also have much more than just a single /16.  Much of it is
assignments made by ARIN under modern policies (including
justification requirements).  They may ask for additional space in the
future.  I have no doubts that their space is efficiently utilized.

- Kevin