[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-8: Transfer Policy Clarifications

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Mar 9 03:17:29 EST 2007

> >It's possible part of the issue is the definition of "ISP." We don't
> >sell circuits. We have no turnover of SWIPs because we are a hosting
> >shop and with the exception of a couple of customers, most of our
> >customers are delegated a /32 from us, and that's below the threshold
> >of doing SWIPs.

> If one of your IP numbers starts
> attacking us
> and you are not disclosing ownership via Rwhois, then I'll
> see you in court.

That is a ludicrous statement. In court, you would very likely lose and
the "hosting shop" would very likely win court costs and lawyers fees
from you. The fact that this "hosting shop" has a single entry in whois
stating that the entire address block is under its management, is
sufficient for the purposes of addressing network abuse issues.

When you go to court and sue this "hosting shop" because they didn't
facilitate you in applying your own vigilante justice, the judge will
laugh you right out the door.

Whois directory listings are there for TECHNICAL PEOPLE to find other
TECHNICAL PEOPLE to deal with NETWORK TECHNICAL ISSUES. Not for you to
browbeat some grandmother over the phone because her rented server has
been exploited by hackers.

--Michael Dillon