[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-8: Transfer Policy Clarifications

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Wed Mar 7 19:03:56 EST 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Randy Bush wrote:

>>> ARIN DOES NOT LEASE RESOURCES.  ARIN DOES NOT SELL RESOURCES.
>> Yes, I'd wager everyone on this list has been clear on that for
>> sometime.
>
> hmmm.  then why are fees proportional to the amound of resources
> one holds?
>
> suggest looking at ripe fee model, now being considered in apnic,
> where resources are 'aged' for the purpose of fee calculation, on
> the assumptions that
>  o fees are for service not rental of resource, and
>  o service cost declines the longer you hold the resource
>
> randy

Without commenting on the content, I believe the word needed here is
"inalienable". For example, a peasant in the middle ages had the right to
farm his plot as long as he gave the required share to the lord of the
manor, but not the right to sell or rent his plot to another. His rights
could not be transferred (other than by inheiritance), hence inalienable.
I believe this is analogous to the situation ARIN seeks to describe,
unless ARIN seeks to retain the right to recall allocations arbitrarily.

Daniel Feenberg