[ppml] Proposed Policy: eGLOP Multicast Address Assignments - not accepted by AC as formal policy proposal

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Mon Mar 5 05:18:23 EST 2007

Dear Leo;

On Mar 2, 2007, at 5:59 PM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 01:19:22PM -0500,
> Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>> I must admit that I do not understand this reasoning, and intend to
>> petition / appeal this.
>>
>> RFC 2050 / BCP 12 merely says WRT multicast that
>
> I agree with you, to quote a little further:
>
>    This document does not describe private Internet address space and
>    multicast address space.  It also does not describe regional and
>    local refinements of the global rules and guidelines.
>
>    This document can be considered the base set of operational
>    guidelines in use by all registries.  Additional guidelines may be
>    imposed by a particular registry as appropriate.
>
> It would seem to me that 3180 could be interpreted as "Additional
> guidelines" and thus I don't see a 2050 problem.
>
> I think the bigger problem here is, what is ARIN to do?  Reading
> 3180 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3180.html) there's no registry
> function.  You take a prefix, you add your AS number.  Boom, done.
> There's nothing for ARIN to allocate, track, report on or otherwise
> administer.
>
> Since the purpose of a policy proposal is to change the NRPM, and
> this references no sections of the NRPM, what specifcally do you
> want ARIN to do?  Perhaps if you rephrased in the form "Insert into
> section x.y.z of the NRPM the following text:" it would be more
> clear.

I think that you are correct, and such text is in the works.

As far as what there is for a RIR to do, RFC 3180 is indeed
automatic. RFC 3138, for GLOP extensions, says that
(Section 3)

    Globally scoped IPv4 multicast addresses in the EGLOP space are
    assigned by a Regional Registry (RIR).  An applicant MUST, as per
    [IANA], show that the request cannot be satisfied using
    Administratively Scoped addressing [RFC2365], GLOP addressing
    [RFC2770], or SSM.  The fine-grained assignment policy is left to
the
    assigning RIR.

There thus needs to be established a mechanism for evaluating the
"MUSTS" in this section, which should be pretty straightforward, and
also for the granularity of assignments, for which we provided a
specific suggestion  in our proposal.

Regards
Marshall