[ppml] Revising Centrally Assigned ULA draft

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Jun 19 15:51:09 EDT 2007

Thus spake "David Conrad" <drc at virtualized.org>
> On Jun 17, 2007, at 6:22 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> The current consensus criteria for "deserving" a routing slot can  be
>> found in the NRPM.
>
> Is it just me or is there appears to be a disconnect here:
>
> - On the one hand, we're told that routers can today handle an order  of
> magnitude more "routing slots" and over the long term, can handle  oodles
> more and that the RIRs don't do "routability".
>
> - On the other hand, ARIN policies are oriented towards conserving
> "routing slots" and people are proposing fairly obscene hacks to  obtain
> address space that won't (at least in theory) consume "routing  slots".
>
> It's probably just me...

I think the disconnect is that the vendors are claiming massive numbers, but
it'll be N years before those routers are deployed at every single point
they're required, and N is expected to be large enough to render the
vendors' claims irrelevant for current discussions.  Even those that replace
their "core" routers every ~3 years just push them down to the next level in
the network; even if those 10M-route beasts will be available in 2 years, N
will is going to be large enough we can't use them as the basis for policies
we're making today.

Vendors always base their pitches on the crazy idea that every customers
will replace every router in their network every couple of years just
because they have some cool new chassis or linecard available, which I'm
sure would be very lucrative for them but isn't realistic.  In the words of
Bandy Rush, I encourage my competitors to do that...

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov