[ppml] Revising Centrally Assigned ULA draft

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Tue Jun 19 12:54:07 EDT 2007

I second your comments.

Reality check: It seems like knee-jerk, fear/uncertainty and doubt are
influencing policy decisions. This is bad.
A lot of the arguments and reasoning is 10 years old, but the fact is
there's been a lot of new silicon since then.

But here are some links to some IETF and NANOG presentations, in the
interest of informed decision making:

(Juniper) Scudder's NANOG presentation:
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0702/presentations/fib-scudder.pdf (this is
where the 10 million route claim is made)

My summary:

- existing technology will scale for the next decade
- some other promising areas of research, long term effort
- or don't run BGP in the core (there's no need for full BGP on P
routers) - deployed, working today

(This last one may be useful to point out - a lot of core (P) routers
simply forward labels and have no need for full tables.)

IETF 68 plenary
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/plenaryw-3.pdf

- 5 to 10 years of growth, scalability not yet limited by FIB/RIB size -
(speed and forwarding path more the issue)
- No Need for Panic

IETF 68 - routing - some nice tables and statistics
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/rtgarea-2.pdf

- routing scalability (routes advertised and withdrawn) - seems like
clear-cut case for dampening
- some nice graphs of prefix growth. (Looks like linear growth to me)