[ppml] IPv6, Vista, and the Popular Press

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Jun 8 21:01:54 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 12:48:21AM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
>than 32 bits to be worth the cost of transition, and enough bits that we'd
>never run out, but still small enough to build with 1990's hardware.  the

Why have I heard so much about routers not being able to handle IPv6?  Is
it really not as big a problem as I've heard (I honestly don't know), or
was the "can be built with '90s hardware" believe a bit optimistic?

Oh, and the urban legend about 64 versus 128 bits I heard from someone who
was on the IPv6 working group, though I don't recall who it was now.
I'll take your word on it, but it's still the case that a lot of people
don't fully understand just how large 64 and 128 bit numbers are.  :-)

Sean
--
 Linux:  Bring back that "greased weasel" feeling.
                 -- Sean Reifschneider, 1998