[ppml] IPv6, Vista, and the Popular Press

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Jun 8 17:41:37 EDT 2007

My reading on this case, and having tested with customers, is that the fault
is not IPv6, but some broken drivers (this case seems a printer driver).

Of course, as you say, inexperienced sysadmins make the wrong testing and
blame IPv6, instead of blaming other things. The issue is that the printer
can stop working by many other reasons not just because IPv6, but is the
easier thing to try/say.

Also the Symantec statement is a long history and seems to me more a fight
with Microsoft than against IPv6, is a pure market thing, they can't sell
good IPv6 firewalls yet, and Microsoft has an embedded one, so blame IPv6
instead of blaming yourself for not getting ready in time.

There has been also a recent discussion in v6ops because someone from
Symantec was raising security concerns about Teredo with a new draft and the
conclusion is that he is trying to defend a product that can't manage IPv6,
but the worst is that in a managed network, you should not use Teredo, but
instead a managed transition mechanism or native IPv6 connectivity itself,
so the broken thing is again the lack of good sysadmins that just try to
make their life easy instead of doing the work they are expected to do, for
example getting ready with IPv6 before it comes.

Regards,
Jordi