[ppml] Suggestion for ARIN to deligate smaller IP blocks

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Jun 8 16:01:12 EDT 2007

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Leroy Ladyzhensky wrote:

> but what you are actually saying is --- the waste of a limited resource is
> justified because ... "Fewer larger routes benefits everyone"  well..
> actually only...  ISP's and there hardware budget.

My point was, if a network continues to grow and eventually does use up
what it gets (just not at the expected pace) nothing's been wasted, and
global routing table slots have been conserved.

> how can we get a way from this thinking and begin to move forward... and face
> it... to actually conserve IP's there needs to be an option to allow smaller
> allocations....
>
> The ONLY thing that needs to be considered is HOW the smaller allocations get
> handed out... do the go to anyone who asks.. I would think not... what would
> be the criteria for a company to get a /24 allocation? any input on this
> would be great.

As I've said a couple times recently, I'm not opposed to / am in favor of
issuing PI /24s to any multihomed network.  If you're multihomed, your PI
/24 takes up the same global table routing slot your PA /24 would (less
space if you had multiple PA /24s from your various providers which
you'd give up to get PI).

If you're not multihomed, and not big enough to qualify for PI space under
current guidelines, sorry, you get to keep using PA.  Otherwise the
routing tables really would explode.