[ppml] Suggestion for ARIN to deligate smaller IP blocks

Leroy Ladyzhensky leroy at emailsorting.com
Fri Jun 8 15:44:12 EDT 2007

jon,

please don't take my tone and sarcasm personally it not directed at you, or
anyone in particular.. just my frustrations.

you say.. "Fewer larger routes benefits everyone"

but what you are actually saying is --- the waste of a limited resource is
justified because ... "Fewer larger routes benefits everyone"  well..
actually only...  ISP's and there hardware budget.

so let me try to understand... IP space that is limited to the point that
once-they-are-gone----there-gone... and wasting them is justified so ISP's
don't have to upgrade hardware?? hardware that you are going to have to
upgrade some time in the near future anyway!!

so lets just waste IP's now to postpone the growth of the size of the
routing table... so we can save some money now...
and then in 6,8 months or just a year or 2 max... when the routing table
size grows to a point where hardware will have to be upgraded based on
current policy and growth...

and after that is done... we can think.... hey.. since we can all support a
much larger routing table now... lets stop wasting addresses... we can pass
out smaller blocks... ohhhhhhh.... that's right there (nearly) gone...

how can we get a way from this thinking and begin to move forward... and
face it... to actually conserve IP's there needs to be an option to allow
smaller allocations....

The ONLY thing that needs to be considered is HOW the smaller allocations
get handed out... do the go to anyone who asks.. I would think not... what
would be the criteria for a company to get a /24 allocation? any input on
this would be great.

Thanks