[ppml] Suggestion for ARIN to deligate smaller IP blocks

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Thu Jun 7 06:09:17 EDT 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Jo Rhett wrote:

> John, I'm a little confused by your math.
>
> 2000 customers * cost of changing IP addresses equals... $200 per
> customer if they have to pay an outside consultant to do it for them,
> usually less than $20 for inside help... Not a big number.
> $40,000 <=> $400,000

Maybe $400,000 is noise to your company.  My company has to think
long and hard before spending $40,000.  Your perspective is seriously
warped.

> Cost of upgrading a single big iron box to have more routing table
> slots > $100,000
> Multiply by the number of big iron boxes who can't use a default
> route, say at least 400?

Are you talking about the cost of upgrading all the backbone routers
in the world to handle /25's vs. /22's?  (I forget the size Leroy
was originally looking for, but it was about 1/8 the minimum
assignment under the current rules.)

Aren't all these big boxes going to need to be upgraded anyway to
support IPv6?

> The only difference is who is paying for it, and who is gaining value
> for it.  You want us to pay, so that your business can gain value.

Who is "us"?

> You do the math, and tell me again why I should be paying out of my
> pocket for your customer.  You very well could have explicit
> instructions sent to the customers for IP address changes.  You could
> very well purchase multiple IP ranges from different providers, and
> thus make the importance of any IP address change negliable.  Or you
> could pay $49/month to get a second uplink and then qualify for PI
> space based on multi-homing.

Don't you need to be able to justify a /22 to get the PI multihoming
space?  That was the basis of this whole discussion.

> Every one of those options is trivially cheap and easy to implement.
> This is why I reject your desire to make our businesses pay hard cash
> so that your business can avoid building even the most trivial
> resiliance into your process.

Why does it cost your business any more if Leroy has a /25 that he
is using most of versus if he has a /22 that he doesn't really need?

Are you on about routing table size again, or something else?

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.