[ppml] Motivating migration to IPv6

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jul 31 19:42:03 EDT 2007

John Curran wrote:
> At 1:18 PM -1000 7/31/07, Randy Bush wrote:
>> folk will spend the effort to deploy ipv6 when they perceive that the
>> costs of continued deployment of ipv4 are greater than starting to
>> deploy ipv6.  doh.
>> some of the main factors in this will be availability of dual stack
>> equipment and software all the way to the back office, the price of ipv4
>> space on ebay, how much public space their deployment actually needs,
>> and their ability to scrounge, nat, ...
> Actually, the greatest cost may be trying to keep full connectivity
> when your peers are handing you routes from this weeks numerous
> IPv4 remnants, and you can't turn 'em down because you're doing
> the same to them...

route fragmentation will be a slow growth thing, accelerating well after
iana free pool run-out, which is the time range paul and i were discussing.

it will be a secondary effect, though a bad one.  and it will be one of
those "my contribution is small" so everyone pollutes with insufficient
guilt.

and sean doran's suggestion of bgp announcement charging has some very
complex operational issues in settlement distribution, aside from the
political hurdles.

> Hopefully, most will perceive the pain a few years ahead of time

hope stopped running the internet at the turn of the last millennium.
she is on vacation in the comores, and sends the occasional post card.

randy