[ppml] Motivating migration to IPv6

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jul 31 19:18:43 EDT 2007

>> I think most/all of the operators on this list understand the necessity of
>> being ready to use IPv6 (for some definition of "ready") before IPv4
>> exhaustion hits.
> how long before, though?

if by "ipv4 exhaustion" you mean the iana free pool run-out, the answer
is, in many cases, a negative number.  ( or did you mean that those poor
ipv4 packets are gonna drop from overwork, victims of their success? :)

folk will spend the effort to deploy ipv6 when they perceive that the
costs of continued deployment of ipv4 are greater than starting to
deploy ipv6.  doh.

some of the main factors in this will be availability of dual stack
equipment and software all the way to the back office, the price of ipv4
space on ebay, how much public space their deployment actually needs,
and their ability to scrounge, nat, ...

and frank solensky's projections, which 15 years later look as good as
anything, have the iana free pool run-out before many of those factors
have the move-to-ipv6 choice become the less expensive one.

randy