[ppml] Motivating migration to IPv6

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Tue Jul 31 18:47:53 EDT 2007

> From sleibrand at internap.com  Tue Jul 31 14:27:24 2007
> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:27:09 -0700
> From: Scott Leibrand <sleibrand at internap.com>
> To: craig.finseth at state.mn.us
> CC: bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com, ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [ppml] Motivating migration to IPv6
>
> Craig and Robert,
>
> Have you deployed IPv6 across your network yet?  If not, could you do so
> within 6 months?  An IPv4 allocation is usually sized for 6 months of
> growth, so this proposal would require all growing IP networks to deploy
> IPv6 within 6 months, instead of allowing them to do so over the next
> few years (between now and when they can no longer grow with IPv4).

Yes, it requires that one _start_ deployment within that timeframe.
It does not mandate that ones _entire_ network be IPv6 compatible or capable.

Can you run an IPv6 to IPv4 gateway, to one room-full of servers?
With IPv6 connectivity to one or more peers?

You're quite correct about one thing,  it doesn't provide _you_ any direct
benefit. It _does_ benefit the _entire_ Internet community, however.

> don't know about you, but such a mandate would significantly increase
> our cost of deploying IPv6, for no real benefit.

Can you explain how your costs will _significantly_ increase if you know
you have to start _minimal_ deployment of IP6 within roughly 12 months
rather than having to rush out full-sale deployment in, say 4 years?

BTW, you would have around 12 months, not 6 for initial deployment.
For starters it's about 3 months for formal approval of a proposed rules
change, minimum.
When the  rules-change goes into effect, it is 'average' 3 montths before
the first request for a new block comes in.  The fulfillment of that
request has no constraints beyond the situation, but does include an
'automatic' iPv6 allocation.  Six months -later- you have to show
reasonable utilization of that allocation.

That's twelve months _minimum_ before you have to show small-scale
deployment.  Longer if the Board would chose to make the effective
date delayed from the date of adoption.