[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication ofLegacyResources

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Jul 31 05:20:01 EDT 2007

> we're not talking about limited resources, we're talking
> about dead-end resources.  last of the mohicans resources.
> more fresh water will come out of a spring or melt out of
> snow (for now, anyway), and so rationing works because
> there's both a present allocation and a future supply to be
> considered.  ipv4 has no future supply, only future zero-sum.

Let's cut the talk about water rationing because we are not dealing with
a water shortage. We are dealing with a pear juice shortage due to pear
tree blight which is killing the pear orchards that we depend on. Pear
tree blight has been with us almost as long as we have been drinking
pear juice, but fortunately, in the next valley over, there is a steady
supply of apple juice for those people willing to pick up and move. And
better yet, pear tree blight does not affect apple trees so we have been
busy planting apple orchards in our valley. And those apple trees are
only a couple of years away from bearing fruit.

The question is, do we just let people drink as much pear juice as they
want, or do we ration it so that the supply lasts until the apple
orchards are in full production of apple juice?

> noone should be deploying non-dualstack in this day+age.

Why not? IPv4 MPLS networks are perfectly capable of providing native
IPv6 services to customers. Any existing service provider has an
internal supply of IPv4 addresses needed to grow their MPLS network by
simply redeploying IPv4 blocks assigned to customers who are able to
transition to IPv6. Not to mention RFC 1918, using non-registered
addresses, and trying the class E range.

--Michael Dillon