[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jul 31 01:24:44 EDT 2007

brilliantly stated except.

it ain't serving animal crackers when the steak runs out.  it is serving
gasoline when the steak runs out.  ipv4 and ipv6 are flat incompatible
on the wire.  it takes a special digestive system to be able to use them
both.

and

> The argument would be false if a sufficiently large subset of the IPv4
> community could be enticed to begin paying money for IPv6 regardless
> of whether they could yet use it. The fact that they're paying for it
> anyway would motivate them to deploy IPv6, and put pressure on their
> service and content providers to deploy it as well, independent of
> IPv4 depletion. For example, if the legacy end-user registrants had a
> short, well-publicized opportunity to get an IPv6 PI assignment before
> the window permanently closed, for which they had to pay $500 and then
> continue paying $100/year...

the real question is how much we would have to pay them to use it.
stealing from my own foils again ...

Why is Japan in Better Shape?
 o Folk with vision (i.e. Murai) convinced the government that early
   movement to IPv6 was wise for Japan
 o Government $upport$ IPv6 research
 o Government $upport$ IPv6 development by industry, vendors, …
 o Government give$ tax incentive$ to enterprises which become v6
   compatible

randy