[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Tue Jul 31 00:51:58 EDT 2007

> We appear to be talking past each other.  I never said this is an outcome I
> particularly like (quite the opposite, really), it just seems to be the most
> likely one given the situation we're put ourselves in.

to the extent that you're talking as if none of us has any choice as to the
outcome, the word i've been using, "fatalistic", is dictionary perfect.

> I'd be interested to see what you think the most likely outcome of
> the current situation is.

you mean, if good men do nothing?  i have no answer to that, at this stage,
since i still hope that something can be done to accelerate the transition
from V4 to V6, such that some of the /8's held by IANA might never be filled.

to say that human nature preordains a period of scarcity before the new kind
of IP addresses start being relevant, goes beyond me, at this stage.

to say that a market would lead to efficient utilization of either routing
table slots (vs. subdivision) or space (vs. a futures market), and will serve
humanity as well as a market in pork bellies or google shares, goes beyond
me, at this stage.

but i'm not going to turn the question back on you and say, why are you so
fatalistic.  a lot of people have said that a market is inevitable and a lot
of people have said that a market would be efficient.  so we've all clearly
had a chance to "hear it somewhere."  maybe it's the kind of thing where if
enough people believe it, it would be the default result.  maybe most folks
here aren't going to consider the roads not taken, why-are-we-doing-this,
what-were-the-alternatives, or why-didn't-we-choose-a-different-one.  that's
not my way.  i want to know those things.  ("where are we going and why are
we in this handbasket?", as suz would say.)

instead, here's a rim shot: what's your preferred outcome?  never mind why
you consider it unlikely and not worth working toward.  just, what is it?