[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Jul 30 15:23:23 EDT 2007

Paul,

On Jul 30, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> ... When either the cost of migrating is deemed to be be less than
>> the cost
>> of obtaining additional IPv4 addresses or the prospect of migrated
>> revenues
>> is higher than non-migrated, people will migrate.
>
> you're either depending on perfect knowledge,

'Course not.

> or are willing to put up with
> colossal loss of money, brains, and time, if that's your transition
> strategy.

You misunderstand.  It isn't _my_ transition strategy, it isn't even
really a strategy (is predicting a rock will hit the ground if you
drop it a strategy?).  I'm merely suggesting it is the most likely
outcome of the situation we've placed ourselves in.  You might not
like it and I'd agree that it is sub-optimal, but it is the bed we
made ourselves when we chose to focus on header bit patterns instead
of figuring out how to actually fix the real problems facing IP.
However, that's water under the bridge.

> if by willing to seek a third, more realistic and acceptable,
> alternative, i
> appear to be arguing from religion, then we're not communicating at
> all.

Gee, that never happens... :-)

Rgds,
-drc