[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Jul 30 13:34:59 EDT 2007

> Well, I tell you what, I am sitting primed and ready to
> deploy v6, I have my allocation and have plugged it in to my
> edge routers, but neither my tier2 nor my tier3 providers
> offer it here yet.  The question of v4 vs. v6 is basically
> moot until v6 is available on the common backbones.

There are IPv6 tunnel brokers such as Hurricane Electric, and you can
also try 6to4 relays. The important thing is to try these things, gain
operational experience with IPv6 (troubleshooting bandwidth issues and
routing issues) and be ready when your ISPs offer native IPv6. Also, by
putting tunnel traffic on their networks, they can measure it and build
internal business cases for IPv6 service.

There isn't anybody out there who will give you fully-functioning IPv6
services on a platter. It's like the early 90's all over again where you
have to climb the learning curve through hard-won experience.

--Michael Dillon