[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Jul 30 10:12:36 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Keith W. Hare" <Keith at jcc.com>
>> I would say IPv6 PI space _must_ be available or the lack
>> would be such a major obstacle to V6 adoption that it would
>> be a problem definitely needing solution.
>>
>> Some users of IP will deem it critical for their purposes
>> that they have PI addressing.
>>
>> But from what I see in the the current NRPM, there _IS_ ipv6
>> PI space.  Am I missing something?
>>

>> "6.5.8. Direct assignments from ARIN to end-user organizations
>>
>>     6.5.8.1. Criteria
>>
>>     To qualify for a direct assignment, an organization must:
>>
>>        1. not be an IPv6 LIR; and
>>        2. qualify for an IPv4 assignment or allocation from ARIN under
>> the IPv4 policy currently in effect.
>> "
>
> The criteria for qualifying for an IPv4 assignment are fairly
> restrictive.

All you need is ~256 hosts if you're multihomed, ~1024 if you're not.  If
that's "fairly restrictive", well, put up a policy proposal to lower the bar
for both v4 and v6.  There was one during the last policy cycle, and it was
shot down -- not for routing slot reasons, but due to fears of spammers.
Another attempt, with more attention to that issue, may succeed.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov