[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Mon Jul 30 10:16:52 EDT 2007

For a lot of organizations, this makes sense.

However, if I want to start now there are a lot of things I need that do
not seem to be available:

-- IPv6 addresses -- If I can demonstrate that I'm going to use a lot of
IPv6 addresses and can use them efficiently, I can get an assignment,
but I'm probably never going to use more than 10 subnets.

-- Firewall -- Yes, I could build my own with linux and freely available
software.  We did that with IPv4 10 years ago.  Today, I would prefer to
purchase an off-the-shelf model.

-- Software support -- Many operating systems have some level of IPv6
support in them.  But what about data-access protocols such as ODBC,
JDBC, and OCI?  I can't test these until I have an IPv6 network in
place.

If IPv6 is going to be adopted, there has to be a critical mass of
network devices and software that supports it.

That critical mass has to include both high-end and medium to low-end
routers & firewalls.  I'm only going to purchase a couple of US$ 5,000
devices, so we need a lot of organizations like mine to drive vendors to
build US$ 5,000 level devices.

To do this, we need a lot of organizations that say "Hey, we now have
IPv6 addresses, we need equipment and software that use them."

Keith

Keith W. Hare                     JCC Consulting, Inc.
keith at jcc.com                     600 Newark Road
Phone: 740-587-0157               P.O. Box 381
Fax: 740-587-0163                 Granville, Ohio 43023
http://www.jcc.com                USA