[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

Colin Alston colin at thusa.co.za
Mon Jul 30 01:28:25 EDT 2007

On 29/07/2007 18:09 Paul Vixie wrote:
>>> You may not care whether I deploy IPv6 now, but you'll care
>>> then.
>> no, because it's gonna be a dual stack universe for a few
>> decades.
>
> for folks who can get IPv4 space or who already have it, dual stack
> is a natural thing to do.  but in the coming decades, the internet
> will grow far beyond the confines of IPv4, and most of that growth
> will be in the form of IPv6-only, though possibly conjoined with
> IPv4 NAT.

You shook me from my sleep with "NAT". I live in the country where
hack IT people feel NAT is the saving grace of the world - sadly there
is nothing worse than having to renumber your private network because
it conflicts with the subnet that your provider has dished out. And no
one would, you just get a new provider or renumber your gateway and
perform double NAT. NAT just isn't a scalable solution to the problem
of IP depletion. (Not that I suspect anyone here thinks that it is)

> it's a damned shame that IPv6 doesn't include a better transition
> method.

I can't really conceive a way in which it would include a better
transition method other than being able to have both at the same time.

The real problem with its transition method is where silly men in
black suits think that IPv6 should be some kind of alternate profit
area that is marketable as something other than IPv4, whereas it
should be more a case of "This is the new standard, provision it or
quit now and go sell stationary".

My question is why it wasn't possible to learn from the NCP to TCP
switch already performed in the internet history. I guess the issues
are fundamentally different though.

--
Colin Alston <colin at thusa.co.za>     ______
Linux & Internet Services           /\_\_\_\