[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Jul 29 23:56:02 EDT 2007

>>> it's a damned shame that IPv6 doesn't include a better transition method.
>> gosh!  you sound like you almost actually read my preso
> i did read it, since i had to leave for another meeting while you were giving
> it.  (at IEPG recently, this was.)  and your preso almost appears to disagree
> with your statement above.  note that i don't admit the possibility of a
> growth-inhibited Internet, and so, by at or near IPv4 depletion, dual stack
> is what everybody has to be doing.  and so, the first statement quoted above
> seems obviously true to me.

there will be five stages at the edges, i will steal from the yet
released next slide set in the series.
  0 Denial, from both ‘sides’:
    . We can ignore brain-dead IPv6
    . IPv6 is perfect and those greedy fools just have to deploy it
  1 Dual stack with IPv4 Dominant
  2 Dual stack with both widely used
  3 Dual stack with IPv6 Dominant
  4 The IPv6 Internet (getting ready for IPv10 transition:)

i assume dual stack core before we move an inch, i.e. out of stage 0.
and we are getting the dual stack core now.  transit providers who don't
make that move will see it on their bottom line in one or two years.
one problem is that (some) router vendor support is still mediocre, so
stalling increases the value of your capital.

in stages 1 and 2, there will be massive use of v4/v4 nat and v4/v6 nat.
 we can hope that v4/v4 slowly dies away in stage 3, as v6 technologic
barriers are significantly lower financially, inter-operation is
widespread, and acquisition of new ipv4 space becomes a more and more
expensive proposition,

but at no time will growth be inhibited.  as we all know, the internet
routes around blockage.  and growth will find the currently least cost
path.  that's life in the big city.  i sure wish the north american
culture did not think of next quarter as long range financial planning,
or things might progress more quickly, ironically.

as the community passes through these stages, which will be a decade or
two, it will do so in a gaussian distribution,  with a few folk in the
lead, the snake which ate the elephant in the middle (or is it a hat?),
and others in a long tail.

make it cheaper to move forward, and folk will do so.  try to make it
_artificially_ expensive to be toward the tail, and we'll get the
<bleep> all religious zealots deserve.

the key thing is to reduce the _technology_ expense of choosing v6 over
v4 in stages 1 and 2.  and for that, you have to wait for me to finish
the next preso :).

randy