[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Sun Jul 29 23:44:23 EDT 2007

Organizations do lots of things where there is not a clear ROI, most
frequently where not doing something will result in a clear cost.

Right now, the biggest obstacle in moving to IPv6 for a lot of
organizations is a lack of knowledge about the issues and technology.

Once organizations figure out the issues and technology, the biggest
obstacle is going to be lack of PI space.

Since IPv6 prefers not to have NAT, an organization needs to number all
resources on the internal network using routable addresses.  If these
address are PA addresses, changing ISPs is going to be a major effort --
renumbering all resources, rewriting all firewall rules, retesting all
applications, and maybe redoing an internal security audit.

Why whould an organization agree to a technology that ties them to an
ISP?

Keith