[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Fri Jul 27 23:59:10 EDT 2007

On 7/27/07, Scott Leibrand <sleibrand at internap.com> wrote:
> I think you just identified a missing carrot.  What if we make a policy
> proposal along these lines:
>
> Any holder of a direct IPv4 assignment/allocation (including pre-ARIN
> assignments) who would like IPv6 PI space, but doesn't qualify under
> 6.5.8.1 today, could get an IPv6 PI /48 by signing an RSA (if they
> haven't already done so), and demonstrating efficient usage of their
> IPv4 space.
>
> The actual policy changes could be as simple as updating the wording in
> 6.5.8.1 to read "qualify for an IPv4 assignment or allocation from ARIN
> under the IPv4 policy currently in effect, or demonstrate efficient
> utilization of a direct IPv4 assignment or allocation covered by a
> current ARIN RSA."
>
> Would you support such a policy proposal?

Yes.

> Do you think it would provide
> a useful means for legacy holders to migrate to IPv6?

I do.

> Do you think the
> requirements are reasonable enough that legacy holders like yourself
> would take ARIN up on the offer?

I honestly don't know. But if they're not even willing to sign an RSA,
how important can IPv6 PI space really be to them? I'm sure the
network operators won't miss the extra routes.

> Would you/they be willing to sign an
> RSA and demonstrate efficient utilization of existing space (or renumber
> and return unused space) in order to get provider independence in IPv6?

In a heartbeat. I can see the writing on the wall. It may be sooner,
it may be later but IPv6 is the way things are going to be. Those
requirements won't break me, and if that's what it takes to buy my way
into the club then so be it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--