[ppml] Soliciting comments: IPv4 to IPv6 fast migration

Peter A Eisch peter at boku.net
Fri Jul 27 23:21:49 EDT 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, William Herrin wrote:

> On 7/27/07, Scott Leibrand <sleibrand at internap.com> wrote:
> > Anyone who's multihomed and has a direct IPv4 assignment from ARIN (PI
> > space) today already qualifies for a similar IPv6 PI assignment.  I'm
> > not sure which existing policy you're referring to with your first
> > statement, or who would need to say such a thing in the ARIN region.
>
> Scott,
>
> Here's the relevant policy, emphasis mine:
>
> http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html
>
>   6.5.8.1:   To qualify for a direct [IPv6] assignment, an
>   organization must [...] qualify for an IPv4 assignment
>   or allocation from ARIN under the IPv4 policy CURRENTLY
>   IN EFFECT.
>
> I wish that sentence was, "... must have qualified for and received an
> IPv4 assignment or allocation managed by ARIN." The difference
> excludes thousands of organizations in good standing with resources
> under ARIN's management, including mine.

As with my situation: I'm legacy, multi-homed /24 and I don't need/want
anymore IPv4 space.  I can't get an IPv6 assignment from ARIN under the
current policy.  (I've tried and been rejected.)  This further disincents
not just me but likely others to even consider IPv6.

...but maybe that's by design.

I guess it's time to unfold the hosted domains onto discreet subnets to
generate a synthetic need for more IPv4 and play the game by the rules.

peter