[ppml] Soliciting comments: IPv4 to IPv6 fast migration

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Thu Jul 26 17:35:56 EDT 2007

On 7/26/07, michael.dillon at bt.com <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
> Host counts do not exist in the IPv6 policy as far as I am aware. This
> reference seems to refer to the requirement for allocations of /48 to
> 200 sites in the ISP allocation policy. Yet you refer to the end user
> assignment policy which has no such requirement and nothing else that I
> can see which looks like a host count.

Michael,

The reference (6.5.8.1b) refers to the requirement for an IPv6
applicant to qualify for an IPv4 assignment under current policies.
The current IPv4 policy allows the assignment of a /22 to a multihomed
end-user who can immediately fill half of the /22. That's roughly 500
hosts.

This is why I call it a "back door" requirement.

> And let's not forget that we are not the only such number allocation
> organization around. How did NANPA deal with phone number shortages.
> Should we be implementing some of the usage reporting and run-out
> reporting that NANPA requires?

They dealt with the phone number shortage by mandating technology
tweaks to the dialing process which opened up vastly more area codes.
Something to do with ten digit dialing and zeros in the second digit
of the area code; I don't remember the exact details. When we run out
of all 10 digits, they'll add a couple more and mandate another
dialing change.

In essence, they implemented exactly the kind of technology-tweak
based policy that you just criticized me for discussing on the ARIN
PPML list.

> What about FEMA? They often deal with resource shortage and allocation
> issues. Can we learn something from them?

Despite years of foreknowledge that they could expect a problem, they
arrived in New Orleans a day late and a dollar short. If there's a
lesson to be learned, its this: don't do what FEMA did. Don't wait for
someone to call you. Don't wait for top-down. Get the components
staged in the field early so that when the s**t hits the fan the
resources are already there.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--