[ppml] Soliciting comments: IPv4 to IPv6 fast migration

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Jul 26 16:49:57 EDT 2007

> And please remember that we do *NOT* run the Internet. We do *NOT*
> engineer the Internet ecosystem. We can *NOT* mandate routing and other
> ISP operational issues. And we *DO* have the responsibility to allocate
> IPv4 addresses for non-Internet use as well.
> --Michael Dillon

the arin community has always taken into account engineering issues such as
routing table explosion when suggesting, debating, approving and reviewing
policy matters.  arin is what its members and its community makes it.  while
arin does not directly run the internet, or engineer the ecosystem, many of
our members do.  while arin cannot mandate routing or isp operational issues,
many of our members have decisions to make which are shaped and informed by
arin's policies, and vice versa.  indeed, it would be unwise for the arin
policy process to occur in a vacuum, uninformed by operational reality.  so
while the things you said are true of arin the organization, they aren't true
of arin's policy making community.