[ppml] Soliciting comments: IPv4 to IPv6 fast migration

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Jul 26 05:27:19 EDT 2007

> Following your comments and some helpful off-list discussion,
> I've prepared a replacement for last month's "IPv4 to IPv6
> Migration Incentive Address Space" proposal. With some mild
> tweaks to the existing 6to4 protocol, it seeks to address
> four problems ARIN faces:

Huh? I quote from your document:

   ARIN shall recommend that all native IPv6 providers implement a 6to4
   encapsulating router and a 2002::/16 route within their networks.

What business is it of ARIN to dictate operational details to ISPs? This
is not within ARIN's charter.

Not to mention the fact that *NOBODY* has the right to dictate what
technology will be used to transition to IPv6. There is a whole
smorgasbord of technologies defined by the IETF because everybody's
needs are different. Not all IP internetworks are connected to either
the IPv4 Internet or the IPv6 Internet. One size does *NOT* fit all.

This is a total waste of ARIN's time.

If you want to discuss transition best practices, then I suggest that
you do it at a NANOG meeting or else organize your own forum for this
such as MAAWG has done for their special interest area.

--Michael Dillon