[ppml] Soliciting comments: IPv4 to IPv6 fast migration

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Wed Jul 25 22:36:14 EDT 2007

It is not at all clear to me whether or not this proposal will speed
adoption of IPv6.

I see a several impediments to adopting IPv6:

1. Current ARIN policies favor Provider Agregatable (PA) address
allocations rather than Provider Independent allocations (PI).  Since
IPv6 discourages NAT, this suggests that I get an IPv6 address
assignment from an ISP and number all internal resources using the ISP's
IPv6 addresses.  Then, If I decide to switch ISPs, I have to renumber
everything and rewrite all firewall rules.  Why would I adopt a protocol
that tied me to an ISP?

2.  I have lots of devices on the internal network that may not (or
maybe they do, I dunno) support IPv6, the temperature monitor and the
UPS, for example.  These types of devices are going to slow the move to
IPv6 in the internal network.

3.  My firewalls do not currently support IPv6 and the firewall vendor
has not announced when IPv6 will be supported.

4.  I *think* my T1 router supports IPv6, but maybe on the next version
of the software.  It's difficult to find the documentation.

5.  I don't know if my upstream ISP supports IPv6 yet.  Their web site
does not say.  I asked my sales contact that question several weeks ago,
but between various summer vacations, I haven't gotten an answer yet.

6. Do the software products I use support IPv6 yet?

There is a large amount of inertia here. With what I know at the moment,
I don't see how we can completely convert the internal network to IPv6
for at least five years, and maybe longer.

Keith