[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-14: Resource Review Process

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Wed Jul 25 18:40:36 EDT 2007

I think this proposal is generally a good idea but I oppose it because
of one specific issue:

> 2. ARIN may conduct such reviews:
>      c. at any other time without cause unless a prior review has been
> completed in the preceding 12 months.

While it may not be the intent of the proposal, this line allows ARIN
to institute an annual without-cause review (aka annual audit) of all
RSA-based registrants. Given that ARIN may face external pressure to
implement a regular audit during the next several years (making each
of our lives that much more of a pain in the rump), I think its a bad
idea to enable the behavior with policy.

I believe the without-cause statement should be reworded. Reviews
should only be initiated when there is some affirmative reason to
believe that a registrant is not in compliance with the policies.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us