[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication ofLegacyResources

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Wed Jul 25 17:21:22 EDT 2007

> Actually Stephen. While I support all your arguments (and
> Owen's POV as well), *I* do have a problem with a $100/yr fee
> when I get almost
> *nothing* in return. I hardly think RDNS costs $100/yr to
> hold my records*. And trying to extort that much money for
> such a nominal service is, well, extortion. Or would be if it
> actually mattered all that much.

> * - and before you point out that ARIN's $10M/yr buget does
> all sorts of other "good" things, not one single "good" thing
> affects those end-users who are not growing their networks.
> If you want to get into a discussion on what's "fair", ask
> yourself if it's "fair" that all your membership pays
> excessive fees that are used to subsidize new requests.

I'll take the blame for the $100.

One reason for it is so that there's an annual transaction,
so ARIN gets a contact who actually exists, checking whois
records, etc.

In addition to reverse DNS, ARIN maintains Whois.  Even if you
never use Whois, it is for the public good, used by all kinds
of people to fix brokenness and find bad guys.  Some folks
update whois and IN ADDRs more than others.

You may not care about the public policy process and members
meetings, which is of course a substantial part of ARIN's
mission.  You might be interested in ARIN's outreach programs,
training, and education of governments and other organizations.
ARIN also provides support to some Internet organizations that
work for the common good, and provides support to ICANN.

Even for end-users who aren't growing their networks, ARIN
helps keep the Internet stable.

Having said all of that, I'm always open to suggestions.  As
a steady-state end-user with a pre-ARIN assignment, what do
you think would be fair?  What should ARIN provide you, at
what cost?

Lee Howard