[ppml] Posible Spam** Re: Policy Proposal: Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space

Francisco Obispo fobispo at cenit.gob.ve
Wed Jul 25 12:53:57 EDT 2007

Dear Scott,

My comments below.

_____________________________
Francisco Obispo
Director de Operaciones y Red Académica
Centro Nacional de Innovación Tecnológica
http://www.cenit.gob.ve

On 25/07/2007, at 12:40 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:

> Bill Herrin wrote:
>>
>> The problem is, it could happen two days after ARIN requests its next
>> /8 block but it could also happen two days before. It could be a
>> nasty
>> "gotcha."
>>
>> By assigning the final blocks in a big chuck to all of the
>> registries,
>> each registry would have at least a couple months of warning before
>> the final "all gone." Would the extra warning be useful?
>> Squandered? I
>> don't know. I do know that it is less chaotic than the first-come
>> first-served until sold out ending and chaos is the enemy of
>> responsible stewardship.
>>

>> I'm against this proposal with N=5 because I don't think it
>> distributes the final /8's fairly. But with N=1 (a final /8 to each
>> registry all at the same time) I think think this proposal would be
>> reasonable.
>
> I would still favor a final allocation based on usage rate instead
> of a
> static value of "N".  If that is not something smaller RIRs like
> LACNIC
> and AfriNIC would support, though, I would agree with Bill, and
> would be
> OK with this proposal with a smaller value of N.

I'm pretty sure that smaller RIRs will support this proposal for a
value N>=1.

This is why the policy was approved in LACNIC in such a way that N
could be
changed by the time it gets a global concensus.

If you and more people on the list agree with the policy but disagree
with the
value of N, perhaps we should discuss the proper value.

Regards

-francisco