[ppml] Policy Proposal: Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Wed Jul 25 11:56:53 EDT 2007

This doesn't eliminate pressure on the IANA pool, it just speeds up the date when IANA says, sorry we are all out of  IPv4 /8s.

As you know the RIRs are made up of members of the Internet community, the only way any policy will reach consensus is if the members of the community think this is the right thing to do.   However, sometimes economics trumps technical ideals.

>  It
>  will also be a clear message to the rest of the community about how the
>  IANA pool will be distributed and by doing that avoiding discussion
>  outside the RIR environment.

I think the current policy accurately describes what will happen.  RIRs will keep asking for /8 allocations until there are no more available.  You don't know who will get the last allocation, but you do know how it will happen.

>  Probably we should also ask ourselves: What may happen if we just do
>  nothing about this issue?

All IPv4 address space will eventually be allocated or assigned, the same thing that will happen if we do decide to have an alternate assignment/allocation scheme.

>  > RIRs use IPv4 resources at different rates due to the different sizes
>  > of the communities they represent. This policy will artificially
>  > extend the availability in some of IPv4 resources in some RIR's, that
>  > could lead to RIR shopping.
>
>  We need to take a global perspective on this issue, here I have to
>  scenarios:

I agree a global perspective is needed.  I was just pointing out that because you are allocating a fixed size to each RIR, that will have consequences.  Those consequences may or may not be better or worse than not allocating a last fixed amount of /8s to the RIRs.  And your opinion on if the consequences are better or worse will also probably depend on your individual perspective.

Andrew