[ppml] Dean Anderson, 130.105.0.0/16 and the future of the IPv4 Internet.

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Wed Jul 25 08:45:35 EDT 2007

> Why use the terms "legacy space" and "legacy address-holder" in this
> context at all? To me it sounds like implicit acceptance of the
> principle that ip-addresses are assets. Laws and regulations change over
> time in real life. Why should the internet be any different? You either
> play by *current* rules or not at all. Anybody can suggest changes to
> the policies, but you can't opt to stick to old rules or invent your own
> and expect to stay in the game.

The current rules are that you must agree to certain things as a condition
of getting address space assigned to you. In the distance past, address
space was treated essentially as property. Legacy holders can make a
reasonable claim that they own their address space and are grandfathered.

It is not clear what legal or administrative process would be appropriate to
defeat this claim. This is why I think the carrot will be far more effective
than the stick.

DS